Dear AMPHS Family,
We hope you’re enjoying the holiday season so far! To us, the holidays bring feelings of joy and gratitude for our beautiful, diverse community. We have some exciting events coming up before the end of the year, so read on!
The AMPHS team is now in the office Tuesday through Saturday from 10am to 6pm. Make an appointment to receive a health screening, get help navigating social services, or learn more about how to keep you and your family healthy.
AMPHS Events and Opportunities
Holiday Toys and Free Flu Shots!
Mark your calendar! On Saturday, December 17th, AMPHS is holding a holiday toy distribution and flu shot event. Register here to receive free toys for your children, and here to sign up for your flu shot! Once you get your shot, you’ll also receive Health Bucks, which you can use at farmers’ markets.
Holiday Toy Drive
We’re accepting donations for our toy drive, which will support the toy distribution mentioned above, through Friday, December 16th! Send toys directly to AMPHS’ office (5306 3rd Ave, 2nd Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11220) or drop them off at any of these locations:
- AMPHS: 5306 3rd Ave, 2nd Floor | Wed-Sat, 10AM – 6PM
- Office of Assemblymember Marcela Mitaynes: 4907 4th Ave #1a | Mon-Thur, 10AM – 3PM
- Yafa Cafe: 4415 4th Ave | Mon-Fri, 7AM – 9 PM; Sat-Sun 8AM – 5PM
Upcoming ESOL Semester
We’re now accepting students for English classes for 2023 (starting January 2nd) in four levels: Beginner, High Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced, including curriculum on computers and civics for some classes. We’ll be prioritizing first Sunset Park residents, then Brooklyn residents, then residents of other boroughs. Register here.
HERE AND NOW Live Storytelling!
This Sunday, December 18th at 3pm, Sunset Park community members will be sharing their stories live at Target Margin Theater! This event is free; no registration required. Bring your family, friends, and anticipation to hear from your neighbors!
Call for Community Safety Volunteers
In response to rising safety incidents in Sunset Park, AMPHS is starting a new “Safe Zones” community safety project! Our goal is to create a network of businesses, faith-based organizations, and other institutions throughout Sunset Park that are trained in bystander intervention and de-escalation, so community members can feel safer while traveling through the neighborhood. If you are a small business owner or local resident looking to be more directly involved in efforts to create a safer community, please reach out to email@example.com for more information.
We are also looking for volunteers to create a “Safe Walks” community safety accompaniment program. Volunteers will walk designated routes and act as additional resources for community members in case they encounter potentially unsafe situations. Sign up to volunteer here. Please note that you must attend a bystander intervention and de-escalation workshop through AMPHS in order to partake in this initiative.
We will be host weekly safety trainings at an indoor location starting in January. Stay tuned for more information and reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
AMPHS Mental Health Services for Chinese Speakers
Have you faced a traumatic incident? Experiencing feelings of sadness or hopelessness? Would you like to speak with someone? AMPHS now offers FREE mental health therapy in English and Chinese Mandarin, Cantonese and Taishanese! If you’re uninsured or underinsured and seeking mental health assistance, reach out to our licensed mental health counselor, Margaret Mui, to schedule an appointment by calling (212) 256-9036 or filling out this interest form.
We will also be holding six in-person group counseling sessions in Mandarin on Saturday mornings in January and February 2023. Anyone can join the group, regardless of insurance. Sign up here.
Join the AMPHS Team!
We have positions open for Manager of Community Health, Manager of Development, Coordinator of Food Care Services, Community Health Partner (Chinese-speaking), Social Worker, Mental Health Therapist (Spanish-speaking), and Executive Assistant. Apply by sending your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Don’t have health insurance or don’t qualify? We can help you find an affordable healthcare option for free or low cost through NYC public hospitals’ NYC Care program! Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive assistance.
AMPHS is continuing to keep the public updated on NYC Care and COVID-19. We partner with various organizations to offer information sessions led by our Community Health Partners trained by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. If you are interested in requesting a session, please fill out this form.
Friends and family of AMPHS gathered at Five Boroughs Brewing Co. last Wednesday for our fall fundraising event, Better Together! The event featured local foods and drinks, raffle prizes from local businesses, and trivia about Sunset Park. With the help of the attendees and our supporters, we raised over $11,500! If you came to the event, thank you again! If you missed it but would like to contribute, click here.
Last month, we partnered with Duane Reade, SUNY Downstate, and Councilmember Alexa Aviles to hold no-cost flu shot events that collectively served over 75 people! We have another flu shot event coming up on December 17th—see above for more details.
Every year, AMPHS provides Sunset Park families with turkeys, and this year was no exception! We also gathered with neighbors and local representatives to celebrate our unity in diversity at a culture night potluck, where everyone was encouraged to wear the traditional dress of their culture and bring foods they grew up eating!
Public Health Updates
We are entering a season of the “tripledemic,” with three different viruses circulating at once. Learn more about RSV, flu and COVID-19 below and remember to wear a face mask indoors and in large groups!
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) is a common virus that causes cold-like symptoms for most people.
- However, RSV can cause serious illness in people ages 65 and older, infants, children and adults with heart or lung problems, and people with compromised immune systems.
- RSV spreads through contact with droplets from the nose and throat of an infected person.
- Symptoms appear 4-6 days after exposure, and most people recover in 1-2 weeks.
- Flu season is well underway, and rates of flu infection are already high in NYC.
- We highly recommend you get your flu shot to protect yourself this winter from the flu, which can cause serious illness in adults ages 65 and older, young children, pregnant people, and people with chronic health conditions.
- Protect yourself with a seasonal flu shot! We are offering our next round of free flu shots on December 17th from 2-5 PM. Register here.
- COVID infection rates in NYC are rising since last month—the daily average is currently about 3,758 new cases.
- Protect yourself with a COVID-19 vaccine. Bivalent boosters are now available and should be received at least 2 months after your previous vaccine dose. To find a vaccination site—whether for your first shot or booster shot—call 877-VAX-4NYC (877-829-4692) or check this website. For testing locations, call 212-COVID-19 (212-268-4319), text “COVID TEST” to 855-48, or check this website.
To help prevent the spread of RSV, flu, and COVID and protect yourself, we highly encourage you to wear face masks in public, regularly wash your hands, and stay home if you feel sick.
Need a mask or a COVID test kit? Visit the AMPHS office during our open office hours Wed-Sat, 10AM-6PM to pick some up for free!