Neighborhood Outreach Organizer
The Neighborhood Outreach Organizer is responsible for conducting outreach in Sunset Park for AMPHS’ health and immigrant service programs to spread awareness and empower community members to become independent and resource-driven. He or she will spread the word about AMPHS’ services in the field across small businesses and community organizations to enroll individuals in AMPHS’ free programs (including free health screenings and classes) and the DACA Education Initiative (a Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs program aimed at identifying individuals who qualify for DACA to assist them in applying and fulfilling their education requirement for DACA application). The Neighborhood Outreach Organizer reports directly to the Chief of Staff.
- Canvass small businesses and community based organizations in Sunset Park in the effort to conduct outreach and presentations to spread awareness about AMPHS programs, services, and government programs
- Provide culturally-sensitive health education, information and outreach in community-based settings, including, but not exclusive to the AMPHS center, schools, community centers, senior centers, community board meetings, local businesses, shelters, etc.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the neighborhood stakeholders
- Coordinate monthly stakeholders meeting for Community Advisory Board
- Preference given to candidates with a bachelor’s diploma or higher.
- Prior outreach, canvassing, or organizing experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen well, speak articulately in a public setting and use language appropriately.
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish and English and/or Chinese and English required.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural setting.
- Strong knowledge of Sunset Park, Brooklyn through prior experience living or working in the neighborhood.
- Knowledge of some medical terminology preferred, but not required.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge in Microsoft Office.
- 15-20 hours per week; weekend availability required.
- The agreement for this position is effective until June 30, 2017 with the opportunity for renewal thereafter.
Please submit a copy of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling first-come, first-serve basis until September 30, 2016.